In an emergency…
In the case of a life threatening emergency call Triple Zero 000 (Police, Fire and Ambulance)TasALERT is an emergency warning and information system in an online platform. The homepage of the website will change to highlight any current incidents within Tasmania. Find it at http://alert.tas.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx For warnings and advice: tune in to your local ABC radio station. In the Hobart area this is 936 on the AM frequency.
What we are doing at SorellSorell Council’s Municipal Emergency Management Plan details reduced emergency-related risks to the community. It also provides a way to mitigate and counter the impact and effects of an emergency that may arise within the municipal area. Sorell Municipal Emergency Management Plan Issue 7 2018 (1.5 MiB)
How to prepareThe following are some tips for your family to consider in order to prepare for an emergency:
- How will you stay in touch in the event of, or after an emergency?
- How will you contact each other if you are separated?
- Who will collect family members and who will check on neighbours?
- Where will you meet?
- What will you do about pets?
What should I take when evacuating?When evacuating you should ensure that you take any essential medications with you. It is recommended that you take an emergency kit which should include:
- Water (at least 5 litres per person)
- Medications and toiletries
- Essential papers and cash
- A battery operated radio and torch
- A supply of spare batteries
- Spare clothing
- Mobile phone and charger
- Bed linen, towels and something to sleep on.
Emergency contactsCouncil works with a network of agencies in times of emergency. These include: Bushfire – http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/ Bushfire emergency Kit information ; http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/userfiles/tym/file/Bushfire%20publications/Final150516TFSEmergencyFactSheet.pdf Flood, Storm, Tsunami, Landslide – https://www.ses.tas.gov.au/ For State Emergency Service (SES) flood and storm assistance – phone 132 500 Roads – https://www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/
- For assistance with non life threatening emergencies – phone 131 444
- For Crime Stoppers – phone 1800 333 000
- For traffic updates and alerts – phone 13 19 40