Public Place Licences & Permits

Public Place Licences and Permits helps Council to regulate matters in public places within our community

Permit to Keep or Occupy a Caravan on Private Land

You will require a licence if you intend to to set up a caravan or any other mobile home on private property.

A caravan can be:

  • a caravan, house on wheels, covered van or trailer
  • a structure, awning, veranda, lean-to, tent, carport or other enclosed or partly enclosed area capable of being used attached or with any caravan
  • any vehicle used or adapted for occupation.

Gaining this approval may be dependent on your proposed method for the disposal of wastewater.

Licences are not required if the caravan or mobile is stored at a residential or commercial property or is situated in a caravan park or designated RV parking area.

Please note that occupying caravans or mobiles homes are not permitted on Council parks and reserves.


The Public Places By-Law By-Law 1 Of 2015 is used to regulate activities in public places within the Sorell Municipal Area – Public Places Bylaw 1 of 2015

You will require a permit if you intend to sell items or food from a roadside vehicle or stall. You must ensure that the land being used for roadside vending activities is designated for such use.

A street stall permit is required for sale of goods from a public street and a public places permit for Council land.

Permits on a State Highway will also require approval from the Department of State Growth.

Application fees are included in the fees and charges schedule Fees and Charges

Councils’ Public Places Policy provides further information on the suitability of sites Public Places Policy 2019

Public Places Permit Application Form

Street Stall Application Form