Council is responsible for the planning, construction and maintenance of the majority of roads within our community.

Engineering assessments also play an important role in Development Applications. Issues relating to storm water drainage, flooding, roads, traffic, parking, lighting and other Council infrastructure are assessed as part of the application process.

Council approval is required before any new vehicular crossing is construction and works must be undertaken in accordance with our Standard Drawings.

These are works undertaken by property owners to subdivide their land and may include roads, accesses, footpaths and services. The roads and stormwater services are then transferred to Council upon completion including their on-going maintenance (after the expiry of the defects liability period). Other Authorities, such as TasWater, take-over and maintain other services such as water and sewer infrastructure.

Notice of Intention to Carry Out Work

Notice of Intention to Carry Out Work

ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT ROAD, SUBDIVISION OR SITE WORKS 1. This form must be lodged at the Engineering Department at least twenty four (24) hours before commencing work. 2. In all cases where work has ceased for two (2) or more weeks, a new notice must be submitted before work is commenced. 3. Full information must be given where indicated on this form; otherwise it will not be accepted.
Contractor Name
Contact Person/Foreman
Name of Superintendent
It is my intention to:
DD slash MM slash YYYY
DD slash MM slash YYYY
Works to occur between the hours of:
Traffic Mangement Plan Submitted
Max. file size: 64 MB.
DD slash MM slash YYYY


Our Local Highways By-Law regulates and controls activities and conduct on local highways in our Municipality – Local Highway Bylaw 2 of 2015

In most cases, permits are required to undertake any work that may impact upon Council’s infrastructure and assets.

Please speak to an Engineering Officer so they can assess if you require a permit.

Vehicular accesses includes crossovers (urban) and culverts (rural).

A Vehicular Access Application needs to be completed for new, additional, upgrading, repairing and modifying vehicular accesses. Once the application form and associated fee is received, Council will then process it. If approved, Council will issue a Vehicular Crossing Permit with associated conditions. This includes engineering inspection(s) if required.

The owner of the land is responsible for the costs associated with the construction, repair, maintenance and renewal of any Vehicular Crossing servicing that land. All Vehicular Crossings are to be constructed, repaired, maintained or renewed in a manner, and to the standard required by the Council Engineer.

Vehicular Crossing and Associated Works Application Form

Vehicular Crossing (and associated works) Application

Note: A vehicular crossing shall not be constructed, repaired or altered without the issue of a permit to do so. All work shall be carried out under the supervision and to the satisfaction of Council’s Engineer and in compliance with the approval letter. A fee is payable upon submission of this application in accordance with Sorell Council Fees and Charges.
Applicant's Name(Required)
Postal Address(Required)
Landowner's Name(Required)
Address of Property Concerned(Required)
Accepted file types: jpg, gif, png, pdf, Max. file size: 64 MB.
You Must Provide A Sketch Of Your Proposed Crossing And / Or Modifications In Relation To Boundaries And Indicate Distances
Fee Paid
DD slash MM slash YYYY