Sorell Council endorsed the Annual Plan and Budget for the 2023 – 2024 financial year at the June 2023 meeting. Council approved a rate rise of 6.99% in line with the Long Term Financial Plan and the Long Term Asset Management Plans which continues the focus on ensuring the long term sustainability of Council.
The budget for 2023 – 2024 provides funding for essential services, maintenance of existing assets and new infrastructure growth. The focus continues to be on maximising the community’s assets and infrastructure for their useful life, with limited funding for new infrastructure.
The annual budget is made up of the Operating and Capital Budget
Council’s budget for 2023- 2024 provides funding for essential services, maintenance of existing assets and new infrastructure growth. This budget commits substantial funds of $18 million for capital works projects including:
- $6.7 million for road renewals (resealing, reconstruction & resheeting) and new/upgrades
- $15,000 for Carpark design
- $1.2 million for footpath renewals
- $2.8 million for stormwater infrastructure renewal and new/upgrades
- $700,000 for replacement of plant and equipment
- $1.4 million for walkways, parks and reserves renewals and new/upgrades
- $3.5 million for new building works and facilities
- $165,000 for IT infrastructure renewals and upgrades
- $2.5 million for Land Improvements (Parks and Reserves)
Our fees and charges schedule includes fees and charges for planning, building, dog registrations, environment and health services, engineering, hall and sporting facility hire and more.
In accordance with the Local Government Act 1993, Council must develop and adopt a Long Term Financial Management Plan (LTFP) and Financial Management Strategy (FMS).
The LTFP and FMS enables Council to plan the financial sustainability of the organisation over a minimum 10 year term.
Council’s LTFP and FMS have played a significant role in Council improving its financial sustainability, increasing its commitment to maintaining and renewing its asset base, planning for major projects, and aligning resources to achieve its strategic objectives.