How do I apply for a planning permit?


Submit your Application

To apply for a planning permit you need to complete and submit:

Please email your application to, once the application is received Sorell Councils planning department will determine what fee is required for your application.

If the proposal requires use of Council land you must include consent from the General Manager. You can contact our Customer and Business Support team to request consent.

If the proposal requires use of Crown land you must include consent from the Minister responsible for the administration of the Crown Land. The Department of State Growth has more information on how to make a request and a form you will need to use to gain Crown Land consent.


Advertising your application

Once your application has completed the initial assessment your discretionary planning application will be advertised in The Mercury, with notices published every Wednesday and/or Saturday.

The relevant plans can also be viewed at Council Chambers – 47 Cole Street or on our planning applications page. LINK


Make a comment or objection

If you want to make a comment about a planning permit application, you can lodge a representation, which can be an objection or support.

Your representation must be in writing and we need to receive it before the end of the 14 day advertising period for the application.

What happens once a representation is received?

If a representation is received, the application is generally decided by Sorell Councils Planning Department, if more then 1 Representation is received the application requires to go to the Development Assessment Special Committee meeting (DASC).

If you lodge a representation, you will receive a letter confirming it was received. The letter will include the contact details of the planner dealing with the application. You can contact the planner to find out which meeting the application will be considered at or view the (DASC) Agenda and meeting dates.

The Sorell Council is required to consider every representation before making its decision.

Submit a representation to a planning application


Assessment of the application

If your application is required to be determined by the DASC, an agenda report is prepared by a planning officer for the planning authority to assess.

The DASC reviews the reports prepared by the planners that contain assessments of planning applications against the requirements of the Planning Scheme. These reports also have a recommendation whether to approve or refuse an application. If the recommendation is for approval, conditions may be recommended. If the recommendation is for refusal, the reasons for refusal are included.

If you lodge a representation you will be notified if/when the application goes to the DASC meeting. You may attend the meeting but no public speaking by representors or proponents is allowed.

Once the decision has been made you are notified within 7 days of the outcome.


Appeal a planning decision

If you are not satisfied with the planning authorities decision on a planning permit application you can appeal to the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal, which is an independent body.

Any applicant for a planning permit can appeal, but it needs to be within 14 days of receiving notice of the decision.


Request an amendment or an extension

You can request a minor change to your planning permit to amend approved plans or change a part of your permit. You need to complete the Minor Amendment Application Form (PDF), include the owner’s consent (if relevant) and lodge the application to

It’s best to talk to a planning officer first to see if the proposed change can be considered. Please contact us to discuss.


You can ask the Council for an extension of the 2-year timeframe in which you need to begin a development or use, according to your permit.

The request must be in writing and made no later than 6 months from the date the permit lapsed.

We may grant 2 separate extensions of time to your permit. Each extension is for 2 years. If, after 6 years from the date of the original approval of the permit (if both extensions have been granted), you have not commenced the development or use then the permit will lapse.

You will need to submit a new planning application if you still wish to carry out that development or use.

please email to discuss further.

Was this content helpful?