Building & Plumbing

On 1 January 2017 the Tasmanian Government introduced the Building Act 2016 which regulates building and plumbing work. The Act introduces new categories of work (low, medium & high risk). High risk work will still require a building or plumbing permit, medium risk work will only require approval from a building surveyor and plumbing permit authority. Low risk work may now be completed by a licenced builder or plumber without needing any approvals.

For more information on the changes please go to the building and plumbing section at

It is your responsibility as the property owner to ensure that appropriate building approval is in place prior to commencement of any building work.

To determine whether Building and/or Plumbing Approval is required, you can refer to

Please note that you may also require planning and/or plumbing approval, even if a building work authorisation is not required.

If you believe a building permit or certificate of likely compliance is not required, you should seek written confirmation from a building surveyor prior to commencing any works. Penalties and additional approval fees apply to persons undertaking building work without the necessary work authorisation.


The Building Act 2016 and the Building Regulations 2016 regulate building and plumbing work in Tasmania. These laws and codes apply to everyone who undertakes building and plumbing work.

The following links detail the Building Act 2016 and Building Regulations 2016.

Building Act 2016

Building Regulations 2016

This link to Consumer, Building and Occupational Services website provides an introduction into the regulation of building and plumbing work in Tasmania – The Regulation of Building and Plumbing Work in Tasmania

A temporary occupancy permit may be required for temporary structures (for example, tents or stages) or for buildings being adapted for occupation or activities that modify its original approval.

Contact a building surveyor who will provide you with the appropriate Temporary Occupancy Permit.

With the introduction of the Building Act 2016, owners have the opportunity to act as an Owner Builder for residential works.

To be an owner/builder you need to meet a certain criteria and understand both your obligations and restrictions. Below are links to the useful information regarding the responsibilities and obligations of being an owner/builder.

Owner Builder Registration Process

Residential Building Work Contracts and Dispute Resolution Act 2016 also commenced on 1 January 2017. This Act applies to all residential building and plumbing contracts over $20,000 and establishes minimum contractual requirements and an obligation on the building practitioner to provide the client with information about consumer rights under the Act. Mandatory warranties, variations, cooling–off periods and dispute mediation and resolution processes are included.

Warning: It is an offence for any person other than an appropriately accredited builder or an owner builder to manage or carry out the work of a builder. Building work carried out or managed by an owner builder may be subject of an audit by the Director of Building Control.

As a result of the statewide water and sewerage reform the assessment of building and plumbing applications process has changed. When lodging a building and/or plumbing application in a serviced area, you must have a Certificate of Certifiable Work from TasWater, or arrange for your designer to complete an Assessment of Certifiable Works Certificate (TasWater) – Building and Plumbing.

If a building or plumbing application requires a Certificate for Certifiable Work, then TasWater has to issue a Water and Sewerage Compliance Certificate before Council can issue a Certificate of Completion.

In an un-serviced area, Plumbing Permit Approval may be required.