Sorell Streetscape Works
We’ve recently upgraded our Sorell Streetscape Plan and have Federal funding to carry out works in the coming months.
The development and update of our Streetscape Plan was informed by feedback from our Seniors Advisory Group, our local Community Conversation meetings, feedback from local business owners and our Elected Members.
Our Streetscape Plan provides us with an important opportunity to make a difference to the livability of our town and to influence how our main streets operate to support business and the community. We want to ensure our main streets are safe and accessible for our community, and that it’s inviting for people to get around and access our local businesses and services.
This stage of our streetscape works will focus on the intersection of Gordon and Cole Streets and Station Lane, with works continuing along Cole Street towards the Sorell Library, and down Gordon Street towards Fitzroy Street, and further along if funding allows.
Works are predominantly focusing on upgrading the footpaths and making sure other elements are DDA compliant as follows:
- Replacing the footpath pavers with sandstone coloured concrete with an exposed aggregate finish.
- Replacing the fencing barriers on the intersection corners of Cole and Gordon Streets and Station Lane with another barrier option.
- Seating and rubbish bins to be removed and re-installed on purpose built level concrete pads.
- Upgrade of the pedestrian crossings on Gordon Street and investigating the possibility of installing an additional pedestrian crossing on Cole Street.
- Redundant driveways are to be removed and barrier kerb installed instead.
- Relocate garbage bins away from the entrances to shops.
- Upgrade to the trees and plantings to create a consistent look and feel.
- New and upgraded public seating locations to be confirmed with stakeholders in line with DDA requirements and best practice.
A copy of the plan is available here – Sorell Streetscape Plan
The extent of these works will vary depending on quotes received from contractors, in line with our budget allocation. Footpath upgrade works are currently underway.
Works are funded by a Federal Government’s Local Roads and Community Infrastructure (LRCI) Program, which supports all Australian councils to deliver priority local road and community infrastructure projects in their region, creating jobs and long-lasting benefits for communities.
You can provide your feedback on our plan and your ideas for future streetscaping works via the feedback form below. –