Garbage and Recycling Collection

Please see the Waste Management Services calendar below for all collection dates.

If you require a replacement for a damaged or lost wheelie bin, please complete the Recycling Wheelie Bin Application Form.

Important Reminders for rubbish and recycling:

  • Please ensure there is a distance of 1 metre between the bins and any other obstacles (e.g. poles and trees).
  • Please ensure the bin is in a position where the truck can easily reach the bin from the road.
  • Place the bins kerbside by 6:00am on the day of your collection or the on the evening before collection.
  • DO NOT overfill your bin or place rubbish beside or on top of the bin.
  • Please ensure bins are upright for collection.
  • Please ensure no cars are parked in front of the bins for collection.
  • You can number your bin to protect against loss or theft.
  • Bins are for domestic waste only (e.g. food scraps and non-recyclable materials).

What you can place in your garbage bins

We will collect:

  • food scraps
  • disposable nappies
  • small broken household items such as china and glassware
  • plastic bags, garbage bags, and non recyclable plastic and food packaging.

We will NOT collect:

  • building materials
  • batteries (drop household batteries at the recycling area at the Jackson Street Waste Management Centre
  • chemicals (caustics, acids, thinners/solvents)
  • medical waste (sharps)
  • medicine/drugs
  • heavy metals
  • herbicides and pesticides
  • dyes and colours
  • tyres
  • glues and adhesives
  • asbestos
  • recyclable packaging (place this in your yellow recycling bin

How to use the recycling bin service

Your recycling bin should be used as a first option to discard the recyclable materials and to avoid disposing them in the garbage bin. Recycling bins should be placed at the kerbside with the wheels facing away from the road by 6.00am on the collection day. For residents with a shared bin service where there is no kerbside space, the bins are to be left in the bin enclosure for the contractor to remove and empty the bins. When placing bins on kerbside ensure the bin is clear of obstructions such as trees with overhanging branches, poles and signs. Allow spacing of about 1 metre between other bins or garbage wheelie bins. Bins will be emptied between 6.00am and 6.00pm. Bins presented late will not be emptied. Please ensure that your recycling wheelie bin has been loaded correctly and that there are no loose or large items in the bin that have caused the contents to lodge inside the bin. Do not secure the recyclable materials in plastic bags.

Recycling Contamination

If you put non-recyclable items in your recycling bin, it will not be collected. If your recycling is contaminated it can mean an entire truck load of recyclables cannot be recycled. Recycling collection occurs fortnightly on the same day as your normal garbage collection.

Do not place the following items in your recycling bin:

  • Domestic Waste – garden or household
  • Ceramics, pottery, cookware and cutlery
  • Plastic bags
  • Window glass or broken glass
  • Clothing or shoes
  • Oil, acid or chemical containers
  • Nappies
  • Asbestos


Council Recycling Centres

Council’s recycling centres are accessible 24 hours, 7 days per week:

  • Sorell Recycling Centre – Stores Lane, Sorell
  • Dodges Ferry Recycling Centre – 538 Old Forcett Road (behind the Dodges Ferry Football Clubrooms)

 Council does not collect the following items:

Item Dispose of it at:
Batteries Waste Transfer Station
Chemicals Register for ChemClear –
Mobile Phones Phone retailers
Printers/Toner cartridges Retailers
Fluorescent tubes Waste management businesses
Paint tins with Paint Waste Transfer Station

New camera technology

Our contractor has new garbage and recycling collection trucks, fitted with cameras that have the ability to take videos as well as still images of each collection. The date, time and location of each collection is recorded and can be viewed to confirm that the contractor has missed your bin. If your bin is not collected because it is contaminated or is overfull, our contractor is required to notify you (by placing a sticker on your bin). Council can provide you with a copy of the photo or video footage.

Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station

The Sorell Municipality does not have a transfer station. Most items that cannot be collected as part of the normal collection services provided by Council can be taken to the Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station located at 126 Mornington Road, Mornington. For full details including fees, contact the Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station on 6282 3200 or visit

Green and Hard Waste Collection

For all information concerning collection of green and hard waste please see the waste management services guide below.

Icon of 2021 Waste Management Services Calendar 2021 Waste Management Services Calendar (3.9 MiB)
Icon of A-Z Recycling Guide A-Z Recycling Guide (1.9 MiB)
Icon of Application For Garbage And Recycling Wheelie Bin Application For Garbage And Recycling Wheelie Bin (42 KiB)
Icon of Collection Days for Garbage and Recycling Collection Collection Days for Garbage and Recycling Collection (0.3 MiB)
Icon of Controlled Waste Facility Brochure Controlled Waste Facility Brochure (2.7 MiB)
Icon of Sorell Waste Pickup Maps  for Garbage and Recycling Collection Sorell Waste Pickup Maps for Garbage and Recycling Collection (5.7 MiB)

The areas being collected are listed below:

Week 1 – Boomer Bay, Bream Creek, Carlton, Carlton River, Connellys Marsh, Copping, Dodges Ferry, Dunalley, Kellevie, Marion Bay, Primrose Sands

Week 2 – Midway Point, Forcett, Lewisham, Nugent, Orielton, Pawleena, Penna, Sorell, Wattle Hill

All waste must be placed on the nature strip the weekend prior to your scheduled collection week. Council’s contractor will collect your green or hard waste during the scheduled collection week. If your waste is not pre-booked or does not comply with the size limits or material requirements, it will not be collected. If you have any queries regarding waste collection please contact Customer Service on 6269 0000.

You can book your green and hard waste collection using the button bellow or by calling 6269 0000 by no later than 12 noon on the Friday prior to your scheduled collection week. Please note that your booking is only for the next collection date, it is not a permanent booking.

Waste Booking System 
Make a Booking >>

Health and Environment

Council’s Environmental Health Officers are responsible for a wide range of services including; environmental protection, food business regulation, place of assembly such mass gatherings, assessing plumbing & development applications, conducting immunisation clinics, water quality monitoring, fire hazards and animal control.

Food Safety

Council manages the registration of food businesses and issues temporary food registrations for food stalls at public events. To register your food business please contact to Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 6269 0000.

Council provides access to a free online and interactive Food Safety Training Program. Anyone involved in food preparation is encouraged to undertake this training. Food handler training can be accessed here.

Environmental Pollution Information


Domestic noise can be a significant source of annoyance to your neighbours. Please be considerate of your neighbours when playing music at home and keep the noise to a minimum. Out of hours complaints that require immediate attention, such as loud parties, can be directed to the Tasmanian Police on 131 444. All other enquiries should be referred to Council’s Environmental Health Department, during normal office hours. Formal noise complaints should be made in writing to Council by completing a Feedback / Request Form. Council’s Domestic Noise Brochure below outlines the times of the day that particular equipment/apparatus can be used.

Icon of Noise Diary Log Form Noise Diary Log Form (25 KiB)

Recreational Water Quality

Water sampling of the recognised swimming beaches in our Municipality occurs regularly over the summer period. Testing from previous years shows that most of our recognised beaches are suitable for swimming. The following swimming beaches are tested weekly over the summer period and if two consecutive samples exceed recommended levels, residents are advised not to swim at the beach until subsequent testing has demonstrated that the water is suitable for swimming. We also advise people to please avoid swimming for 24-48 hours after heavy rainfall and to always observe signage at the beach access points. Please direct any complaints about recreational water quality to Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 03 6269 0000.

Location Tasmanian Recreational Water Guidelines classification Comments
Connellys Beach Moderate Surface water run-off likely to impact on water quality
Primrose Beach Good Stormwater may impact on water quality after rainfall
Park Beach Good
Red Ochre Beach (South) Good Stormwater may impact on water quality after rainfall
Red Ochre Beach (North) aka Blue Lagoon Good
Tigerhead Beach (Seventh Ave) Good Stormwater may impact on water quality after rainfall
Midway Point (below McKinly Street) Good Stormwater may impact on water quality after rainfall

A copy of the 2019/2020 Recreational Water Quality Report is available here:

Odour/Air Pollution

Complaints about odours or air pollution should be directed to Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 03 6269 0000. However, if complaints are related to major industries, then please contact the Environment Protection Authority Tasmania on  1800 005 171. Excessive smoke from wood heaters can be a major contributor to air pollution. Smoke can be a nuisance to your neighbours and contains pollutants that are known health hazards. There are products on the market that help make wood heaters burn more efficiently and reduce the amount of pollution emitted. Having your flue swept annually will also ensure your flue is in good working order and free from build-up. Operating your wood heater correctly is the key to clean and efficient heating. For handy tips or more information on how to achieve this visit Environment Protection Authority Tasmania’s website at


Council  Officers can fine people for littering.  Fines can range from $163 for small items such as cigarette butts or $815 for large bags of rubbish. Litter complaints should be made to Council directly by phoning 03 6269 0000.

Wastewater Management

Council advises that residents make it routine practice to ensure their septic tank is pumped out every 3-5 years to prevent blockages and keep it in good working order. However, if absorption trenches are overflowing this suggests a more significant problem and a plumber should be consulted.

Icon of Information For Prospective Purchasers Of Land In Areas Outside Of Sewerage Districts Information For Prospective Purchasers Of Land In Areas Outside Of Sewerage Districts (0.2 MiB)
Icon of List Of On-Site WasteWater Site  Soil Evaluators And System Designers List Of On-Site WasteWater Site Soil Evaluators And System Designers (0.4 MiB)
Icon of Septic Tank Information Booklet Oct 2017 Septic Tank Information Booklet Oct 2017 (0.9 MiB)

Rainwater Tanks

Please See Council’s Guidance on use of Rainwater Tanks brochure for simple information to help keep your domestic drinking water supply safe and healthy.

Icon of Guidance On Use Of Rainwater Tanks Brochure Guidance On Use Of Rainwater Tanks Brochure (0.2 MiB)

Ross River Virus

Council’s Environmental Health Officers routinely monitors the mosquito population for Ross River Virus (RRV) over the summer months. The Director of Public Health is responsible for issuing information on how to avoid contracting RRV if there is a high risk of infection over the mosquito season. Please see Council’s fact sheet on Ross River Virus for more information on the disease.

Icon of Ross River Virus Fact Sheet Ross River Virus Fact Sheet (0.1 MiB)

Public Place & Street Stall Permits

You will require this permit if you intend to sell items or food from a roadside vehicle or stall. You must ensure that the land being used for roadside vending activities is designated for such use.

A street stall permit is required for sale of goods from a public street and a public places permit for Council land.

Permits on a State Highway will also require approval from the Department of State Growth.

Application fees are included in the fees and charges schedule Fees-and-Charges-2021-22.pdf (

Councils’ Public Places Policy provides further information on the suitability of sites POLICY NUMBER: (

Icon of Street Stall Application Street Stall Application (0.1 MiB)
Icon of Public Places Application Form Public Places Application Form (0.2 MiB)

Backyard Burning

As of the 26 June 2019, the Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Smoke) Regulations 2019 came into force. These regulations state that, if you are wanting to burn vegetation and vegetative waste on land with an area of less than 2000 square metres then there are restrictions around the activity to minimise its effects on the environment, neighbours and the wider community.

As of the 26 June 2019, the Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Smoke) Regulations 2019 came into force. Burning vegetation and vegetative waste on land with an area of less than 2,000m2 is prohibited unless you ensure that the smoke doesn’t impact neighbours and the wider community.

The Regulations place two types of restriction on backyard burning:

  1. Regulation 9 makes it an offence to undertake backyard burning for any purpose on land with an area of <2,000m2;

UNLESS it is done in accordance with any relevant fire permit, environment protection notice (EPN) or Council bylaw;

AND all practicable means are taken to prevent or minimise air pollution (i.e. by having regard to weather conditions, proximity of neighbours and by only burning dry vegetation).

  1. Regulation 8 makes it an offence to burn ‘prohibited waste’ on any land, unless authorised (e.g. by an emergency authorisation under section 34 of EMPCA). Prohibited waste includes asbestos, tyres, coated wire, paint & chemical containers and residues, rubber, painted & treated wood, plastic, oil, household waste, linen, foam rubber and polystyrene.

Fines for breaching this regulation cost $840 (as at August 2019).  For these reasons Sorell Council does not recommend burning of any type of waste.

The legislation does not prevent fire hazard reduction burn-off on large properties.

Please see Council’s brochure on Backyard Burning for more information on this issue.

Environmental Protection Tasmania also has an excellent FAQ factsheet on Rules for Backyard Burning that provides more information –  Click here

Instead of burning vegetation, green waste or rubbish, we urge all residents to utilise one of the following services:

  • Monthly green waste collection
  • Private waste removal contractors
  • Waste mulching and chipping contractors
  • Home composting
  • Compost bins
  • Worm farms
  • Mornington Park Waste Transfer Station

For more information on Backyard Burning please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 6269 0000 or email

Icon of Backyard Burning Brochure Backyard Burning Brochure (0.5 MiB)

Fire Abatement

Inspection of properties for fire hazards is undertaken throughout the municipality before the commencement of the fire danger season.  It is the responsibility of property owners to ensure their property remains fire-hazard free. Please ensure your property remains mowed and cleared to avoid the issue of an abatement notice. Where abatement notices are issued and not complied with, a Council contractor will clear your land, the cost of which is usually much higher than a private contractor charges.


School Immunisation

Sorell Council provides a school based immunisation program.

The school immunisation program provides Year 7 Sorell High School Students with two free vaccines.  The first vaccine is a booster dose called Boostrix.  This vaccine covers diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough).

The second vaccine is Gardasil which protects children from the Human papilloma virus (HPV).  This is given as 2 doses on different days, 6 months apart.

Your year 7 child will be given a consent form at the start of the year that must be signed and returned to the school even if your child is not being vaccinated.

Childhood Immunisations

For all other childhood immunisations, Sorell is fortunate to have two medical practices providing bulk billed childhood immunisations.  Please contact either

Sorell Family Practice  – 12 Cole Street Sorell (at Sorell Plaza). Phone 6265 2341.
Sorell Doctors Surgery – 31 Gordon Street Sorell 6265 1595.

Request for Immunisation Records

Sorell Council only holds records for immunisations that have been provided by us. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding immunisations.

To request a copy of your own or your child’s vaccination history please complete the form below:

Immunisation Details

Complete this form to request a Certificate of Immunisation either for yourself, or your child. Please note we only hold records given through the Sorell Council run programs in the Sorell municipality.

Please enter your name here

Details of the person immunised

Immunisation Locations

List of locations where immunisations may have been administered. Please check at least one location. Please note: If the school or clinic that you attended is not in the list, then we do not hold the immunisation record. Please contact the relevant Council of the school or clinic you attended directly.

Contact Details


Privacy Statement

On application, client details will only be released to the client directly, or if the client is under 18 years of age, to the client's lawful guardian/s. In cases where the application is made by a person other than the client, documentation may be requested to confirm the applicant's relationship to the client.

Our aim is to provide you with your immunisation records as quickly as possible. You should receive your Certificate of Immunisation within five days of your request.


Dog Registration and Control

Dog registration fees are due annually on 1 July and should be paid immediately to avoid the issue of an infringement notice. Residents are advised that it is their responsibility to keep their dogs under control at all times. Substantial fines can be imposed on the owners of dogs that create a nuisance. Council’s Animal Management Officers regularly patrol the Municipality and dogs found at large will be impounded. Please remember these important points:

  • Not all dogs are friendly – don’t let your dog rush up to other animals.
  • Not all people want to interact with dogs – do not allow your dog to approach people without their consent.
  • At all times dogs must be in sight of the owner and responsive to a command.

A copy of the Dog Registration form is available here: 

Picking up after your dog

Dog faeces is unsightly and unpleasant. It can also cause problems for our community and environment and can pollute the beach and river, and can be a breeding ground for diseases in dogs and humans. Sorell Council provides disposal bins in many areas throughout the Sorell municipal area. Things to remember when walking your dog:

  • When exercising your dog always carry a pooper bag to collect your dog’s waste. You can use freezer bags or plastic bags too.
  • Dispose of waste responsibly.
  • In accordance with the Dog Control Act 2000 you are required to clean up after your dog. If your dog is caught leaving excrement in a public place and it is not removed, you may be issued with an infringement notice and be fined.

Impounded Dogs

The Council’s Pound is located in Sorell and dogs may be reclaimed from the Council Chambers at 3:30pm weekdays. If your dog is impounded you must contact Animal Management staff on 6269 0000 to arrange a time to collect your dog. A release fee and a daily pound fee will need to be paid before your dog can be released. Your dog will also need to be registered before it can be released from the pound if it isn’t already registered. An infringement notice will be issued under the Dog Control Act 2000 under section 16(1) – Failure to ensure a dog is not at large for any impounded dogs captured by Council officers (1 Penalty Unit). All fees must be paid and dogs must be registered before they are released from the Pound.

Icon of Dog Barking Complaint Form Dog Barking Complaint Form (0.3 MiB)
Icon of Dog Exercise Areas and Responsible Pet Ownership Information Brochure July 2019 Dog Exercise Areas and Responsible Pet Ownership Information Brochure July 2019 (3.5 MiB)
Icon of Dog Management Plan 2017 Final Dog Management Plan 2017 Final (0.3 MiB)