Council has made the decision to close ALL playgrounds, skate parks and dog exercise areas due to COVID-19 until further notice.
This decision is in line with Council’s ongoing response to the current pandemic and to support the Government restrictions on facilities operations and social-distancing regulations in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community. While there will be no physical barriers in place, playgrounds will be signed today advising of the closures. Gates at fenced parks will remain unlocked as the public toilets onsite will remain open. We apologise for the inconvenience and ask for the community’s support to help ensure these closures are adhered to.
The Sorell RV Short Stay Park will also be closed in line with Government guidelines until further notice. However, the dump point will remain accessible.
The health and safety of our community is our priority. We thank you for your ongoing understanding and support during these uncertain times.
The currently evolving novel coronavirus COVID-19 situation is an unprecedented time and the health and wellbeing of our employees, their families and our wider community is our priority. Council is continually receiving advice and updates from the Department of Health, DPAC and LGAT to help us determine how best to manage this situation within our organisation and community.
What are we doing?
Council is implementing our Contingency Plan to help us manage our operations in the coming weeks/months. In the interests of public safety, we are continuously making some changes in the way we deliver services in accordance with advice from the Department of Health, DPAC and LGAT.
Council closed our offices to the public on Monday 23 March 2020 until further notice. This measure allows us to provide both a safer work environment for our front line staff and a safer customer experience for our community.
Whilst the doors are closed, you can contact us via one of these alternative methods:
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone – 6269 0000
- Facebook – search for Sorell Council
- Website – Check out our website for all Council information including forms and links https://www.sorell.tas.gov.au/
- My Local Services App – Download the App for free from the App Store or Play Store and use the ‘Report It’ function to report issues as well as access Council’s contact details.
If this presents a problem for you please contact us via telephone or email in the first instance to make alternative arrangements.
We appreciate your support with this matter and you can rest assured we will continue working behind the scenes to deliver our valued core services.
Otherwise, our operations will continue on as normally as possible. We are encouraging staff to work from home and supporting them to do so. Please understand that due to this, some queries may not be able to be resolved as quickly as usual, so please be patient. We acknowledge that limiting services and enacting firm social distancing measures means some customers may be inconvenienced, however we will endeavour to continue to provide our essential services.
Services such as animal management, waste management, maintenance and capital works program are continuing with appropriate precautions being put in place.
Internal meetings are suspended, but Council and DASC meetings will continue following health guidelines.
All Council staff have been instructed to adopt the recommended hygiene practices and social distancing recommendations, as well as comply with all Government directives.
Due to updated Government indoor gathering regulations and reduction on density numbers, Council will be closing ALL our community and sporting facilities effective immediately.
These facilities include:
- ALL playgrounds
- Skate Parks in Dunalley, Dodges Ferry and Sorell
- Sorell Memorial Hall
- Midway Point Community Hall
- Copping Community Hall
- Dodges Ferry Rec Centre
- Dodges Ferry Oval
- Dunalley Community Hall
- Pembroke Park
- Sorell RV Short Stay Park (however the dump point is open)
- Sorell and Dodges Ferry Dog Exercise Areas
Public toilets remain open. Gates at fenced parks will remain unlocked so the public toilets onsite are accesible. Department of Health information signage has been placed in public toilets.
The Dodges Ferry and Sorell Recycling Centres remain open. However, we ask that users of the faclities remain COVID-19 aware. Please ensure you follow the Government’s guidelines on social-distancing regulations and personal protection measures to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
The Sorell Market has also ceased operations for the immediate future.
What you can do
We encourage all members of the community to follow the Department of Health’s advice regarding protecting yourself and others from novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
- Wash and dry your hands often, with soap and water. Germs can spread through hand contact. Wash your hands before touching your face (especially lips, mouth, nose, eyes), food and drinks, and after coughing, sneezing blowing your nose and going to the toilet.
- Wash and dry your hands well. Make sure the soap and water get on your whole hand – palms, backs of hands, thumbs, fingertips, wrists and the webbing between your fingers. Rub your hands for 15–20 seconds, or for as long as it takes to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song slowly.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. If you don’t have a tissue, use the inside of your elbow. Put used tissues in the rubbish straight away (don’t keep germs in your pocket!) and then wash your hands.
- Keep your distance. Try to keep 1–1.5 metres (two large steps) from people who are unwell with a fever and coughing or sneezing.
- Call for advice. If you think you might have COVID-19, phone your doctor or healthdirect (1800 022 222) for advice.
Protect others by washing your hands and keeping your distance.